Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bach and Babies

Did you know that the brilliant piece of music by J.S. Bach, the Coffee Cantata, was composed in an effort to counter a movement in Europe in the early 18th century that was trying to fight against coffee. Opponents of coffee at this time argued that coffee was unhealthy and would render the drinker sterile. If a woman were to drink coffee, people were told, she must forgo bearing children. Yikes!

Well I have living proof that their add campaign was indeed a lie, and a terrible one at that!

Last week my wife went into labor and gave birth to my (Billy Kangas') first child! The labor started around 4AM so the first thing I did was brew up some of our Guatemala and put it in my porcelain to go mug. It helped me get up and to the hospital. By one o'clock I was holding my new born son in my arms!

Our roaster Jonathan says that the Guatemala has all four D's: delicious, delightful, delectable, and decadent. I couldn't agree more, but after dealing with a newborn child for the past week I would like to add one more: de-drowsing.

This week I would like to share with you a bit of Bach's Coffee Contata.
You can read the lyrics in English here, which I recommend since they are actually very entertaining.

Enjoy!

1 comment: